- Are you present in mind, when she comes to ask for your thoughts?
- Do you listen with openness when one of your team is expressing their point of view?
- Are you kind and responsive when her home life is coming undone?
- Can you be trusted when you say you will do it by Monday?
- Can you be counted on when you say, “leave it with me.”
- When success hits the team, was it we or you who did it?
- When you know you can’t deliver, do you fess up immediately to your boss and ask for help?
- When one of your team, or colleague needs help and support, do you provide a safe place to ask for it?
So would you describe yourself as
- rain, when growth and development is required of your team
- air, when your team needs to take a breath and think clearly
- a clear, but fair bar, when your team needs to raise its game
- beer & pizza, when it’s time to acknowledge and celebrate
- tough lover, when they slip beneath the capability of their better angels
- sharp lens, when they need to be clear about what is expected.
- forecast, when they need to hear what is possible
- backboard, when the buck needs to stop with you.